Basic Ratio for TRIO Bars:
1 cup toasted or raw nuts (e.g., cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup seeds (e.g., green pumpkin seeds (pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds)
1/3 cup chopped dried fruit (any variety/combination to create different tastes; this also includes unsweetened coconut)
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 cup brown rice syrup, barley malt syrup, or light cane syrup (e.g., Lyle’s Golden syrup)
(note: honey will not work–bars will be sticky, not crispy)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line an 8-inch square pan (9-inch is too big* see note below) with foil and lightly spray with (do not skip these steps!).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the chopped nuts, seeds, and dried fruit.
3. Add the salt and syrup and stir to coat.
4. Scrape/dump mixture into prepared pan. Now, to press it out evenly: Tear off a good size piece of foil (around the size of the pan or slightly smaller). Lightly spray it with nonstick spray. Use the sprayed side of foil to press and spread evenly into pan. Works like a charm!
5. Bake for 18 minutes (the bars will not be hard at this point). Place pan on cooling rack and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes (give or take) until partially set up (it will depend on how hot or cold the kitchen—just don’t cool completely). Use the sides of foil to lift the bars from the pan. Do not try to remove from foil—they will stick like crazy. Cut into 8 bars.
6. Go and do something else until bars are completely cooled. Once cooled, the bars will lift right off of the foil. Wrap in parchment or wax paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.